Saturday, November 21, 2009

Life Goes On

For some strange reason when I moved away I had the mentality that the life I left behind would be exactly how I left it. It never occurred to me that events would happen, people would change and ultimately life would still go on. The world doesn't stand still when you're not there, it constantly changes. And for some reason that realization shocked and scared me. I thought people would adore the fact I was heading back home and don't get me wrong, some people actually did. I guess I just had this expectation that the world would revolve around me when I was back there, as if I was the guest and needed to be toured. I got the hugs and kisses, warm embraces and the "I missed you" but when after that was all said and done, I found myself alone. Everyone had prior commitments to uphold to or things to do that had to be done. I know it may come off as selfish, but I thought it'd be a big deal that I was heading home. There it occurred to me that I wasn't a guest in my hometown, but a temporary resident. And that things would be like how they've always been. I couldn't count on the simplicity, convenience and spontaneity that I've grown used to on campus. It's as if I live in two different worlds, which seem to never collide but rather run parallel from each other. I come to the realization that people's lives go on without me being there to watch it or here about it, but all I ask is that even though a hundred miles away, that I'm always down to be a part your lives. You all live yours, and I'll live mine and I hope we cross paths because it reminds me of what home used to be like, at least the positives of it. Yet again, reality kicks in.

No comments: